Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Review: Dark Whispers by Joanne Macgregor

Now you all know I am a sucker for a thriller. The thriller has to be just right, not too dark to have me roaming the house, an insomniac-zombie, but yet enough to keep me shaking the book in anticipation. 

So when the lovely Joanne Macgregor contacted me to review her new thriller, Dark Whispers, I shuddered at the blurb – because it meant half the horror movies I had avoided would now sweep up over me and leave me wide-eyed with a duvet up to my chin.

The line that gripped me: He leans over and breathes into her ear, “I’m going to do something very special for you now. Cut it all away and make it neat. And when you wake up, you’re going to be just perfect.”

And I was sold.

We meet Megan Wright, a psychologist with an insatiable habit of trying to save things to the point where she cannot seem to make it from her car to her office without picking up a invalid bird – this is the first taste of Megan you get, the saviour of the living (or trying to be) while she has a seemingly tame argument with her mother on the phone.

We also meet Alta Cronje, a patient who is about to drop a bomb in Megan’s life, see Alta was a victim of a butcher doctor... When I say ‘Butcher Doctor’ I merely mean that while under anaesthetic, Alta was sexually mutilated by her gynaecologist – Oh, but you can get this all from the blurb right? Right! What you can’t get from the blurb is the way in which Joanne explores human tragedy. She flicks it out like a dining room table cloth and irons out the creases for you. You face your worst nightmare and Joanne is there to guide you through it, walk you through the haunted mansion, one giddy step at a time, when you know for a fact something will jump out at you – and let me tell you, something always jumps out...

The book surely does live up to this thriller genre with its punchy narrative, an Alfred Hitchcock type plot and a somewhat-flawed protagonist that you can’t help but like. A local thriller at its best, you’ll rip through this one – just as you will put off any doctor’s appointments after.

  
Have you read it? Tell us what you thought of Dark Whispers?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly