Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Night Film by Marisha Pessl



About the Book
 
Brilliant, haunting, breathtakingly suspenseful, Night Film is a superb literary thriller by the New York Times bestselling author of the blockbuster debut Special Topics in Calamity Physics.
 
On a damp October night, beautiful young Ashley Cordova is found dead in an abandoned warehouse in lower Manhattan. Though her death is ruled a suicide, veteran investigative journalist Scott McGrath suspects otherwise. As he probes the strange circumstances surrounding Ashley’s life and death, McGrath comes face-to-face with the legacy of her father: the legendary, reclusive cult-horror-film director Stanislas Cordova—a man who hasn’t been seen in public for more than thirty years.
 
For McGrath, another death connected to this seemingly cursed family dynasty seems more than just a coincidence. Though much has been written about Cordova’s dark and unsettling films, very little is known about the man himself. Driven by revenge, curiosity, and a need for the truth, McGrath, with the aid of two strangers, is drawn deeper and deeper into Cordova’s eerie, hypnotic world.
 
The last time he got close to exposing the director, McGrath lost his marriage and his career. This time he might lose even more.
 
Night Film, the gorgeously written, spellbinding new novel by the dazzlingly inventive Marisha Pessl, will hold you in suspense until you turn the final page.
 
 
Review
 
I am never one for over-hyped novels – they always tend to leave me hoping I’d have discovered the book on my own in the depths of my bookshelf. With that said, it was Tamarin du Toit (IWantADodo) who changed my world with the recommendation of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. Now let me just clarify the differences between Tamarin and I. 

So I took Tamarin’s word. I followed her blindly into the world of Cordova. A world so dark there were times when I slept with the light on, but a book this special, not just in plot and character, but in amalgamating pictures, newspaper articles and websites – transmedia trend personified. The world of books has changed, my view of interacting with books has changed.

Marisha Pessl’s Night Film, never lets up. When Ashley Cordova, daughter of renowned cult-horror-filmmaker Stanislas Cordova, is found dead, Scott McGrath needs to get to the bottom of it. Having pinned his career as an investigative Journalist on Cordova, and having failed helplessly; ruining his life, this is the story to save all for Scott.

A thriller with more ‘thrill’ and ‘chill’ than I hoped for, peppered with malignant photos that made the hairs on my arms stand up. This is a cat-chases-mouse-mouse-catches-cat-mouse-eats-cat with a complicated story that flips back on itself. It’s difficult to describe this novel that had my mind playing tricks on me.

This is a novel that will grip you by the throat and leaving you wondering what the hell happened.
 
 
 
About the Author
 
Marisha Pessl grew up in Asheville, North Carolina, and now lives in New York City. Special Topics in Calamity Physics, her debut novel, was a bestseller in both hardcover and paperback. It won the 2006 John Sargent Sr. First Novel Prize (now the Center for Fiction’s Flaherty-Dunnan First Novel Prize), and was selected as one of the 10 Best Books of the Year by The New York Times Book Review. Her new novel, Night Film, comes out August 20, 2013.
 
 
 
Find the Author
 
 
 
 

1 comments:

PattisPages said...

I wasn't as enamored of this book as you were, but I appreciate your review. I would also love to have super-fast-reading superpowers.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly