Monday, April 1, 2013

Get out of your comfort zone and into your comfortable zone

 
 




We all have our favourite kind of books, you know, that genre we are pulled towards whenever we feel like a relaxing read. And we all know that pull is stronger than the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels at cousin Anthony's Bar Mitzvah.

But today I am here to challenge you to step out of that comfort zone and into a whole new world. I challenge you to walk into your nearest bookstore and asking your bookseller what they recommend. Ask them for "something different".

Are you a fan of chicklit? Why not blow the cow out of the water and go for something different? Try what I call the holy trinity of India novels - White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts and Q&A by Vikas Swarup?

What about the Fantasy fans out there? Why not try the intrigues of a historical novel like Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel or some magical realism like One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, If you have never read Fantasy, magical realism is a great introduction to the genre, kinda like a gateway drug to a whole new section of your bookshop!

Also, Fantasy readers! Be sure to check out Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth!
 

Here are my top 5 must-read books to bust you out of a genre-rut:
 
 
The Absolutist by John Boyne
An amazing story about love, trust and guilt set in the First World War. One of the best books I have read in my life.


Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
A retelling of the story of Achilles, from the point of view of his friend and companion Patrocles.


Zoo City by Lauren Beukes
Magical realism set in a modern day Johannesburg, where people who committ crime gets burdened with an animal companion for the rest of their lives.


Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
A tome of a book that tells the story of a man who builds cathedrals. Court intrigue and politics in this book will make for great reading for fans of George RR Martin.


By Nightfall by Michael Cunningham
A novella showing us a snippet of a man's life, his relationship with his wife and her family and his internal struggles as he goes through everyday life.


So go and grab one of these books, get out of your reading comfort zone and take up residence in your comfortable zone!

 
Happy reading!


ooOoo

About Lood
 
 
I’m just another average book freak who happens to be able to think for himself. My views might or might not be controversial, they might or might not be insightful, but they are mine. I do not suggest you remotely agree with them, but I implore you to employ rationality when engaging in arguments. I value logic above intelligence, respect above passion. I urge you to converse with me, because through discourse we will all leave these encounters richer.
 
 
 
 
About the blog take over: I have with all my power and control-freak nature, given my blog up to Lood for an entire week - may he talk books and keep it clean.

 

2 comments:

violininavoid said...

Great advice! You can't know what you're missing out on if you keep reading the same thing and refuse to try new ones. I actually took part in a reading challenge once where you paired up with someone whose tastes were very different from yours and you each picked a book for the other. I didn't enjoy all the books, but I'm glad to say I tried them out :)

I'm so not a blogger said...

I loved Shantaram!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly