Thursday, September 20, 2012

Awaiting: The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling

 
 
There is a moment in every one's childhood - or at least I hope - where they can pin (at least) one book or series (in my case it was books, people, places and even fictional characters that came to life) to a moment that either carved their reading career or ended it.
 
Harry Potter did that for most eager teens searching for something different (myself included in the late night queues); carving childhoods and keeping us off the streets (and let alone the fires our neighbourhoods were saved from) and locked in bedrooms, buried beneath covers waiting for the ultimate climax of Harry Potter (the boy who lived) vs Voldermort (he who shall not be named).
 
As the world exploded in Harry Potter fever, I found myself working for my mother (at the slave-pay age of 13); typing out endless business cards - weeks of work to keep me busy during the holidays - for the next installment of a thrilling Hogwarts visit.  It was worth it!
 
So how can one not showcase Rowling's first book for adults . . .  Perfect as it has been years since the last book left weepy fans hoping for a come back.  So here it is . . .
 
READ EM AND WEEP!
 
 

About the Book
 
When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils...Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? A big novel about a small town,
 
The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling's first novel for adults. It is the work of a storyteller like no other.
 
Published by Little, Brown Book Group

For local readers (South Africa) you can get your copy of The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling at your nearest Exclusive Books. And for more information check out Penguin Books South Africa.


Happy reading!
 
 

3 comments:

Sugar and Snark said...

I can't wait! But I'm slightly scared to read it :(

Robert bean said...

I really have to read this book. It really appealed to me.

I liked JK Rowling.

Meerabai said...

For almost anyone who has read the Harry Potter series, JK Rowling became 'my favourite' or 'one of my favourite' authors. But 'The Casual Vacancy' is not the least bit like Harry Potter. Firstly, it is an adult book. So, maybe adults will really enjoy this book but its not all that great for teenagers. The storyline is okay, not too bad, not too great. MostJK Rowling fans have already finished this book so yeah it's way too late for my review, but i guess there are a few of you out there who yet have to read this one.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly