Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Confessions of a Book Whore: Book Nerd or Fraud!



So I claim to be a book nerd? I march around town, head held higher than most, glasses perched on nose and shouting – in a somewhat gruff voice – “Hallo Thar, I be a book nerd. A book whore, bow beforeth me before I papercut they knowledge from thee soul, hethen!”. Sounds horrific, doesn’t it!

I make loud proclamations of reading and devouring text each and every minute of a day. I lap up fiction at an ungodly rate that fills my belly like a gluttonous child. Once that is done, I stomp around the house like Augustus Glug (From Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) wanting MORE (said in zombie like tone).

I want more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!!!!

It’s a deadly habit that siphons funds like sugar through a sieve (any book lover will tell you that). I’ll claim that it’s better than crack, cocaine, alcohol or cigarettes. I can sit for hours on end telling you how I couldn’t live without reading? How my world would be a dim, uneventful place; queues would be spent tapping my foot and singing to pass the hours or sitting in my car (when I arrive too early) would consist of actually learning how to change a tyre.

A friend mentioned the other day “Sport is far easier than culture”. I have to disagree, when given the option I’d rather be covered in books and chocolate than in sweat, crawling my way to the end of the rugby field.

But does this really make me a book nerd? That I’d save my books first before myself [and on occasion my family], or that I always carry a book with me?

I’ll preach my guts out to the choir but sometimes, books don’t make it on to the priority list. Please don’t un-follow me, tut in disgust and shake your head in disbelief, but it’s true. I found myself for the first time last night opting sleep (which never came, instead insomnia waved hello) over three sentences. I find myself declining book events for dinner events and buying clothes/food instead of books more and more. Say that I am growing up and maybe finding a balance, but I feel a tad like a fraud; hence the confession.

I need the written word like I need air and water, but sometimes I need a pair of socks or a chocolate bar and I’d happily give a book up for that. Some days!



Disclaimer: This blog post was written while highly stressed and frazzled on what book to read next and the author of this post cannot be hung from the rafters, mutilated or un-followed in any way or on any social platform, both digitally and publically. The Author offers any apology for any offence made in jest. Oh bugger it. READ AT OWN WILL

4 comments:

cat_hellisen said...

Nothing wrong with taking breaks. You come back to the books and the words are sweeter for it.

Lauren said...

Hey! I just wanted to tell you that I absolutely love your blog and have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award. You can see it here: http://booksteame.com/2012/07/04/and-three-awards-later/ =)

I'm so not a blogger said...

Ah, your post made me giggle out loud! So so true, but if you don't tell, I won't;-)

Shelagh said...

Hehe - you are safe from me Kelly. :) Apart from books, one of my guilty pleasures is sitting in coffee shops devouring tea/coffee/coke and cake/muffin/sandwich while reading one. So every now and then the budget gets shifted to accommodate one or the other. And petrol. Kinda need the petrol.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly