Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ultimate Chocolate Brownies


The Story

A very good friend of mine handed me a copy of Saved by Cake by Marian Keyes. Now before I go on, you must know dear reader that Marian Keyes is the woman who single-handedly walked me through many a reading rut and fast became my FAVOURITEST author in the whole world. So you can imagine the squealing, the gratitude tears and the vowing to serve her every whim. AND IT IS SIGNED!

Madame Keyes (the Grande Dame of Chicklit) held my hand through every heartbreak, every change and taught me to laugh about it.  It was until her last book Brightest Star in the Sky did I learn that her biggest demon was throttling her to breaking: Depression. All that time I was shoving cake in my mouth waiting for the next Marian Keyes, she was finding a new way to get to her readers.  A cookbook, with everything you could need want and bake...

So something new for the blog dears.  A recipe.  I decided (One Sunday Morning) to bake Marian Keyes' Ultimate Chocolate Brownies.  Here we go...
(P.S you can find Marian on her Website or on Twitter)

The Recipe

My Batter

These are dark, very gooey, dense, chocolatey and wonderful.
SERVES 9
225g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
225g butter
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
200g light brown soft sugar
170g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
100g brazil nuts, chopped quite small

Me Licking The Spoon
  1. Liberally butter a 20cm square tin (loose-bottomed, if possible) and preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2½.
  2. Gently melt the chocolate and the butter together in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water.
  3. Beat the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together until they start to look a bit like caramel.
  4.  Pour in the melted chocolate and butter and mix together, but don’t overbeat because if you do (I did on my first go) it sort of ‘coagulates’. Not good.
  5.  Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt, and fold through.
  6. Add the chopped brazil nuts and gently mix. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for a mere 20 minutes.
  7. Put the tin on a wire rack to cool for at least 3 hours. If you cut it too soon, the brownie will leak all over the place (I make these mistakes so that you don’t have to). When the time is up, turn out of the tin and cut into nine equal-sized squares.
TADA!!

 These were so easy to make.  I used the wrong chocolate, took them out too early but, eh, they still flew into bellies without being chewed.


HAPPY BAKING ALL!


1 comments:

Tamarin said...

Keep up the baking, Kelly!
(In future you really should work on scaling down the amount of batter consumed before actually baking though!)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly