Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Confessions of a Book Whore: Talk is Cheap, but so are books





I have been holding on to this post for a while and I know I have been extremely busy and neglecting you, my dear readers... but here we go...  

There is no feeling in this world than finding a book that had you at ‘Hello’ and has you skipping to the counter because the price is cheaper than a newspaper. My number one weakness, my very own Kryptonite, is a book on sale. How I manage to eat food, clothe myself and still have money for petrol, when Exclusive Books’ Summer Sale rolls around. I have sold more than my soul to make sure my quota of sale books is purchased.
Me and my haul from the EB Summer Sale

Imagine this...

Me in a combat army clad outfit, ready for action. Mission: Exclusive Books Warehouse Sale. Time: Thirteen Hundred Hours. Note: Chariots of Fire is swelling as I take my first step into the GARGANTUAN warehouse. I mutter under my breath, “Oh god, help me”. I had already BBMed Lood du Plessis (Deputy Fanatics Manager at Exclusive Books) and Rene Brophy (Marketing Manager at Exclusive Books) and had requested that an ambulance is on stand-by for fear of sale book over exertion (This also feeds the fantasy of a strong-handed-male catching me as I faint among piles of books).
I begin the slow walk into the industrial air-conditioned ware house (more like huge fans blowing like jet turbines, catching my hair in each gust that left me thinking “My hair’ll either stay like that or it’ll blowout”). It’s a true dream-like state. Lood points and I follow zombie like, slipping on my own drool as I make my way through the warehouse.

My haul from the Warehouse Sale

The next two-hours fly by in a rather badly edited noir film, that shows me growling at other buyers; grabbing greedily at books; gasping at gems; shoving children to the floor; and finally dragging my box to the counter like it was a wounded soldier that needed saving.
7 Kilograms is what I walked away with. SEVEN; the deadly sins of my bookshelf.

I am poor but Hells-bells I am happy! I am ruthless when it comes to book sales.

So I confess...




4 comments:

KJ Mulder said...

All I can say to this is ditto!

thebookfairyhaven said...

Ha, I can just picture you shoving everyone else out of the way in order to get your hands on those books. :-)

Shelagh said...

I am thrilled for you and seethingly jealous in equal measure! Oh how I love books for a bargain - especially when I find gems or something I have been lusting after...

HAZEE MASTHAN said...

I found the best prices at MyDeals247 - nothing can beat that.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly