Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Confessions of a Book Whore: For The Love of My Job



It wasn’t until 3 weeks ago when I met an old friend (whom I hadn’t seen in years) that I realised how important my job really is, and how much I really enjoy it!  Spare me the eye rolling and the shouts of “Are you gunning for a raise” but as a confessional book whore, I have to be honest with you. 

I do have my moments when my 5am alarm clock goes off and the last thing I want to do that day is strut around an office buried in a manuscript that just doesn't make the cut. 

Like when the printer doesn't work and all I can think of is attempting a dramatic run-up and out the window to ‘Eye of the Tiger’, or when my computer decides a day off is called for and ceases to work no matter how much bribing or coaxing takes place.  We all have those moments ... right?

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”Dr. Seuss

Back to the realisation!

I was sitting at a wonky wooden table, bottle of Rhum in my left hand and a glass in the right.  Through squinted eyes, I sat watching my friend paging through a copy of Mandy Wiener’s Killing Kebble, a book that has seen exorbitant praise, sales and is one book that I can pin my start in publishing to. 

He gets to the acknowledgements and scans, stops and shouts “DUDE! Your name! Here” and he points to my name (list among many that worked on the book) as if his life depended on it.  I shrug, having dealt with this excitement from my dad but also because I hardly could be thanked for putting together something so brilliant – purely because the team I work with deserve far more thanks than me.  His face takes on this proud-sad like face (a father watching a 3-year-old sing on stage would compare) and he says “God, you did it Kels.  You really did it.” and I am sure a tear glistened.

It was then and there that I realised that I, not only, get to work with a team that oozes more drive, talent and passion for books than Nelson Mandela does for freedom but also get to work with some incredibly influential authors and society leaders. 

I have seen books about rugby, freedom fighters and mutant Jack Russell’s pass my desk but nothing compares to sitting around a table with a team that believes books are the be all and end all of the world.

I rant.  Oh boy do I rant and rave at my desk. I would put Martin Luther King’s “I have a Dream” speech to shame; as I shout and preach to the screen of my computer.  That all disappears when copies of books arrive with a plop on my desk; the feeling that harvests the very love of books! 

Oh I do adore my job!

I am given the freedom to learn and create all in one day.  So the porridge brain and aching eyes from the computer aren't minded so much.

All in all I like my job.  No.  I love my job.


2 comments:

KJ Mulder said...

Great post. It really sounds like a dream job. I love the Dr. Seuss quote!

Shelagh said...

*two thumbs up* This is as it should be young grasshopper.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly