Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Confessions of a Book Whore: Books Over Boys


Imagine a girl in tracksuit pants, hair bundled to the top of her head and devouring chocolate brownie ice-cream like it was an Olympic sport.  That girl is me.  It is Valentine’s Day and I am (Surprise Surprise) suffering through it alone.  It seems my deadly good-looks aren’t enough to charm the male species into submission; making them fall to their knees in adoration writing Haiku’s to the rhythm of my name. Nor do they cluster outside my bedroom window, guitar and a bag full of nerves singing their way to my heart.

Visions of me 30 years down the line, 17 cats (all named after a literary figure), grasping at bound tomes in a dilapidated house.  Oh the future is bright, readers!

So let’s pretend I did have a Valentine?  I’d be giddy, gushy and every time I blinked, a flutter of cartoon hearts would erupt around my head.  There would be gifts, poems and a dinner so romantic Jane Austen would fall on her back in envy; a right old fit-to-be-Hollywood-blockbuster romance.  A girl can dream right?

But since Cupid has yet again forgotten me on the list of “Heart popping” frenzy and a chocolate coma, let’s talk books.   Books over boys, if you will.

To my father’s relief, books arrived at our door rather than suitors.  I chose books over make-up and short skirts.  My whirlwind romances consisted of Mr Darcy, Sydney Carton and Romeo – The greats.  I fell in love time and time again, with delectable pages and the printed letters.  Healthy?  Maybe.  It certainly saved me from a teenage pregnancy and messy break-ups.

So when I read this post A Girl You Should Date, a post set to make any a book whore to rest her chin in her hands and sigh.  

My favourite line:

If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads


I knew all hope wasn’t lost.  I’d meet my prince charming among the shelves of a bookstore; he’d be clever and would be able to quote Shakespeare off hand.  Our kids would be read Dr Seuss and Beatrix Potter.  We’d sip wine and get lost in literature but would that really work?  

If we both were book nerds, our money would be finished in one book sale and then our kids would go hungry!  Visions of policemen carting me away to jail as my hungry children looked on consumed me.  So that didn’t comfort me.  What did comfort me was the thought of treating myself to a long wanted book, a cup of tea, endless amounts of chocolate and a night of living a Cinderella world without having to get up off the couch.

I’ll stick with Mr Darcy and Sydney Carton.


How are you spending Valentines Day?

6 comments:

Tarryn said...

Fabulous post! Had me in stitches. Now craving a good book and a box of chocolates.

Debbie Ansara said...

I love it nothing wrong with Mr Darcy and chocolates
Love you Kiddo - Debs

thebookfairyhaven said...

Oh how I HEART your post Queen Kelly. I love it so much, that I wish I had written it. Who needs boys when there's Dexter from One Day or Mr Darcy, eh? Love.

Rory L. Aronsky said...

I want to keep reading voraciously, write more books, travel throughout New Mexico, visit my home state of Florida (Left in 2003 with my parents and sister to move to Southern California), and go to every presidential library in the nation (I've already covered Reagan and Nixon). I'd be happy with all that and nothing more in my life.

And right now, if given a choice between Taft 2012 by Jason Heller or a date? I'd much prefer to see how President Taft makes it through our world.

terri-maree said...

This is an amazing post Kelly!!! Wow! I too have fallen in love between the pages of a book so many times - Rhett Butler, Damon Salvatore, Lucas... And they never leave you...

Shelagh said...

Sounds like a plan my dear. I have similar visions of a house full of books and cats - want to be neighbours?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly