Wednesday, January 18, 2012

White Cat by Holly Black

About the Book


Cassel comes from a family of curse workers -- people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all mobsters, or con artists. Except for Cassel. He hasn't got the magic touch, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail -- he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.
Ever since, Cassel has carefully built up a façade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his façade starts crumbling when he starts sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things, too, including the strange behaviour of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him, caught up in a mysterious plot. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he also wonders what really happened to Lila. Could she still be alive? To find that out, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen.

Review

Twitter was frantic with the buzz for Holly Black’s new book White Cat and believe it or not, that is where I get my most interesting “Next Book to Read” ideas.  I hadn’t read fantasy in ages and this was a perfect starter pack to get me going, why? Because:
  • It is the first in the series
  • I loved The Spiderwick Chronicles and
  • Don’t shun me for this but the COVER! Oh how pretty it is!

I set forth into the world of curse workers and glove wearers, adopting a pair of gloves myself while reading this, I was enthralled!  I fell in love with Cassel from the get go; the black sheep of an already blackened family and a very hazy past that (watch my humour here now) pounces on him like a skittish cat! 

I am far from giving the plot away, but I can tell you that Black weaves you through mafia families, witches far from Harry Potter and secrets so foul you’ll recoil in disgust.  What a way to wrap myself in fantasy and underworld magic.  Holly Black has managed, eloquently, to prove herself as a writer for the adult genre and does it just as well as her YA and Children’s genres.


Now for some news, and again I realise I am late on this one, but I have book 2 (Ok ok I book 3 is out) but I am so excited to sink my teeth into it!  So here goes – a whirlwind adventure awaits me!


About the Author


Holly Black is the author of the New York Times bestselling The Spiderwick Chronicles series and other contemporary fantasy novels for teens and children. Her latest work is the graphic novel series The Good Neighbours. Holly lives in a Tudor Revival house in Massachusetts with her husband, Theo, and an ever-expanding collection of books. For more information about her, please visit www.blackholly.com



How great are the covers!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly