Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: Flies Again by Frank Cottrell Boyce

About the Book

The first ever sequel to Ian Fleming’s Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, written by bestselling author Frank Cottrell Boyce and endorsed by the Fleming family.


When the Tooting family find a vast abandoned engine and fit it to their camper van, they have no idea of the adventure that lies ahead. The engine used to belong to an extraordinary flying car – and it wants to be back on the road again . . . fast! The Tootings can haul on the steering wheel and pull the handbrake as hard as they like, but their camper van now has a mind of her own. It’s not long before they’re hurtling along on a turbocharged chase as Chitty tracks down her long-lost bodywork. But there are sinister forces at work too. When it comes to a car as special as Chitty, everybody wants a piece of her . . 


Published by Pan Macmillan UK

Review

A book like this one stands out, not only because of its predecessor (Ian Fleming) but because it is a story that makes you realise why you started reading as a kid in the first place.

I remember being marched into my Gran’s lounge with my cousins, Terry & Sean.  My Gran lining us up on the carpet - her Maltese poodles scampering about - that smelt like crayons, the ones we dug into the carpet by accident, and a VHS (yup remember those!) slipped in.  This was my Gran’s distraction for us; keeping us out of the kitchen while she made her famous rock buns.  The movie was always Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and as we got older another famous Broadway Musical.  A whisperer of excitement with the opening credits and then 5 minutes in we were belting out the songs at the top of our voices...

Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Our fine four fendered friend. Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Our fine four fendered friend. Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Oh you pretty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, We love you.”

I cannot express the warmest of memories I have with this movie.  So when I saw the proof copy pop up I jumped and I literally begged to read it (ask Nicola).  So I did.  I read it before class, after class, in the voting lines and while making tea!  I have never travelled like I did in this book.  I went from England, Parked on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, sold pancakes in Cairo, jumped onto an estate that was a boat, got shipwrecked in Madagascar and then headed back to England.  *Wipes Brow* shoo!  I wouldn’t want to spoil it for you but this book ends on a cliff hanger that made me gasp!

Oh how I cannot wait for the next one!  Hurry up Frank!  Kelly loves reliving her childhood...

About the Author


Frank Cottrell Boyce is a successful British screenwriter whose film credits include Welcome to Sarajevo, Hilary and Jackie and 24 Hour Party People. Millions, his debut chidlren's novel, won the 2004 Carnegie Medal and was shortlisted for the Guardian Children’s Fiction Award. His second novel, Framed, was shortlisted for the 2005 Whitbread Children's Fiction Award and has also been shortlisted for the 2005 Carnegie Medal. His third novel, Cosmic, was shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal, the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize and the Roald Dahl Funny Prize. Now Frank has jumped into the driving seat, writing a sensational sequel to the much-loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.




Happy Reading ALL!


2 comments:

BookGeek said...

I have so many warm memories with this movie and my parents. You just brought them all back!

Shelagh said...

I loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as well! When I first saw this come up on the release lists I was thrilled that someone had written a carry on and now I am very impressed to hear that Frank has pulled it off.

Must. Get. Copy.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly