Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Publishing vs. Self-Publishing

So I wrote an article for All About Writing and Wesley Thompson (Digital Publisher at Pan Macmillan South Africa) has graciously placed it on his blog...

Check it out...


Imagine standing before Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, Jennifer Lopez, Gareth Cliff and Randal; your very own Idols panel. Except you aren’t about to start belting Mariah Carey’s ‘All I want for Christmas’ in impossibly high heels and re-dyed hair; you are holding your manuscript before them. The square, sharp-edged, paper-cut inflicting baby that took you approximately 475 hours (for fiction) and 745 hours (for non-fiction) to create. The one you neglected family birthdays, lunches, dentist appointments and even forgot to feed the dog for. You stand there as the panel of judges berate and dramatically tear your manuscript to pieces in front of you.

BUT THIS IS YOUR DREAM?

This is an experience every writer can tell you about. The nervous wait for feedback; the undeniable disappointment of the rejection. So you turn to Self-Publishing. Your story is saved, and your book is REAL!

So you begin every effort to market, sell and publicise your newly made gem in the world of books; you start a blog, begin a book club on Goodreads and tweet up a storm to your adoring fans. All the while fire-breathing, green-faced demon publishers become the punch line of all your jokes.

Perhaps I’m not coming across as sincere, but I am. Self-published authors work their butts off doing solely what an entire company does in a year; and they do it in mere months. From editing, proofreading, indexing, publishing, typesetting, cover design, permissions, printing, marketing, publicity, online marketing, financial costings, to pricing and logistics (I wiped my brow just typing that!) – imagine doing all of these things by yourself every day!

I respect self-published authors. Those who, in the face of rejection and defeat, manage to get up and point a proverbial finger at the publishing industry and laugh as they sell books by the thousands.

See the FULL article here

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Or the self-published authors like me that looked at the publishing industry and decided to just not be a part of it. Not until they figure out what they're doing. But that's a whole different rant.
At any rate, I decided I wasn't going to be a part of the hoop jumping and took on all of that work myself. Not in the face fo rejection or in fear of it (because I know my book is good enough), but because I'm not willing to play their games.

Anyway... off to read your full article.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I'm intrigued by self-publishing. I'm not a writer and I know nothing about the publishing industry so it is interesting. Great post. I'll hop over to finish.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly