Monday, October 24, 2011

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

About the Book


Passion. Fate. Loyalty.
Would you risk it all to change your destiny?
The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren.  Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.
Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.




A BIG thank you to Elmarie from Jonathan Ball Publishers for the review copy!

Review

This is one of those rare occasions when you fall in love with the book’s cover and decide to move it up 3 books on your “To Be Read” pile.

While I keep saying “I don’t really like YA”.  I am, of late, devouring more and more of YA literature in quick, easy and enjoyable reading bites.  Colleen Houck is yet another eBook selling sensation turned print book published author – I love these rise-of-the-underdog-but-saved-by-the-digital-book-stories – who owns her own white tiger and has a flair for description.

Kelsey Hayes is an average, American 18 year-old who finds a summer job at a circus and falls, instantly, in love (I mean the love you would have for a kitten or puppy) with the white tiger named Ren.  A strange man arrives at the circus and buys Ren, and offers Kelsey the opportunity to travel along with them to India; the hook that is needed to pull this tumultuous novel along.  I do have to say that this YA is definitely on the younger side of Young Adult, but nonetheless it had me going “Ahhhooooo” or “Woah, what what!”.

I loved the cover and Houck really took me on a whirlwind adventure to the heart of India, but I am hesitant (and call me a cynic) that a young 18 year-old girl would jump at the opportunity to take a trip with a tiger and a strange man across the Atlantic?  Maybe I was born in a time where I was taught to never talk to strangers.  I know crazy notion right?  And this irritated me to no end, but once I realised that books are made to take you away to exotic locations and entice you (especially if you are far younger than me), I suppose Kelsey’s choice was valid. 

Nevertheless, this is a true holiday read and with long stretches on the beach and an empty mind this one is for you!

 - Review by Kelly Ansara
Follow Kelly on Twitter

About the Author


Colleen is a lifelong reader whose literary interests include action, adventure, science fiction, and romance. Formerly a student at the University of Arizona, she has worked as a nationally certified American Sign Language interpreter for seventeen years. Tiger’s Curse is her first book, which has already received literary praise and digital success. Her self-published eBook claimed the #1 spot on Kindle’s children’s best-seller list for seven weeks. Colleen lives in Salem, Oregon, with her husband and a white stuffed tiger.


Don't forget to leave a comment or tweet me about anything bookish!!


1 comments:

Arabella Bramble (A reader) said...

This is on my TBR shelf, usually I get my YA reading from work but this one I have to admit I was tempted by the lovely cover and a very reasonable price, I must try and get to it soon, certainly the cover is appealing.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly