Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (20) The Lady of Rivers


 
"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This weeks "waiting for and might kill for" selection is:

The Lady of Rivers: A Novel (The Cousins' War)
by Philippa Gregory

Published by: Simon & Schuster
Publication date: October 2011

Which cover do you prefer?


About the Book

Jacquetta, daughter of the Count of Luxembourg and kinswoman to half the royalty of Europe, was married to the great Englishman John, Duke of Bedford, uncle to Henry VI. Widowed at the age of nineteen she took the extraordinary risk of marrying a gentleman of her house­hold for love, and then carved out a life for herself as Queen Margaret of Anjou's close friend and a Lancaster supporter - until the day that her daughter Elizabeth Woodville fell in love and married the rival king Edward IV. 

Of all the little-known but important women of the period, her dramatic story is the most neglected. With her links to Melusina, and to the founder of the house of Luxembourg, together with her reputation for making magic, she is the most haunting of heroines.

About the Author

Philippa Gregory was an established historian and writer when she discovered her interest in the Tudor period and wrote the internationally bestselling novel The Other Boleyn Girl. Now she is looking at the family that preceded the Tudors: the magnificent Plantaganets, a family of complex rivalries, loves, and hatreds.  Her other great interest is the charity that she founded nearly twenty years ago: Gardens for The Gambia. She has raised funds and paid for 140 wells for the primary schools of this poor African country. A former student of Sussex university, and a PhD and Alumna of the Year 2009 of Edinburgh University, her love for history and commitment to historical accuracy are the hallmarks of her writing. She lives with her family on a small farm in Yorkshire. She welcomes visitors to her site http://www.philippagregory.com/


Why am I waiting for it?

I have on many occasions felt that I secretly had an affair with Henry the VIII (Ok ok ok, who didn't back then?).  Gregory satisfies my Victorian urges of waltzing around the house in a corseted dress and shouting "Bring the suckling pig for eating!".  I WANT!



What are you waiting for?

Don't forget to tweet me your waiting on Wednesday


9 comments:

Tia said...

I like the cover on the left! I've only heard great things about Phillipa Gregory's writing! Good pick!

Here's my WoW

Chrizette said...

I like the cover on the right :) Love the blurb - going to take a look on Goodreads.

Little Miss Becky : ) said...

Both are gorgeous! I think I like the one on the left just a little better, though! Her books always have lovely covers!

Greta is Erikasbuddy said...

That book sounds awesome!!! ANd I lovers the left cover the bestest :)

Paranormal Wastelands WoW:
http://paranormalwastelands.blogspot.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday_21.html

Zompacolypse is coming. Are you infected?

And while you are visiting the Wastelands enter for a chance to win a Vampire Wake Prize Pack and After Obsession!

Sherre said...

I....love it!!! Like you I had mu own experiences with King Henry VIII...I mean...why not! I LOVED the other boelyn girl...and i used to be pbsessed with the Tudors. I will be writing this book on my TBR list

Check out my WoW here

Sherre said...

Oh and I love the cover on the right!

Lea said...

What beautiful book covers! I know Phillipa Gregory has quite a few books out and a very large following... hope you enjoy these when you get them!! :)

You can see my Wow post for this week at the link below-- happy reading!!

Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

The Happy Booker said...

I love Phillipa Gregory's historical fiction and I can't wait to read this one. I think I prefer the second cover as it has more of a whimsical feel to it.

Donna @ The Happy Booker

SweetSwan said...

Excellent!! This book sounds excellent!! Im adding it to my tbr!!

My wow: http://lovelylit.blogspot.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly