Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Follow Guest Post

So because it's Friday (Kelly runs through fields of golden wheat) and we wanted to showcase some amazing South African Book Bloggers we love to stalk... 

You can take part in the blog hop at Crazy for Books & Parajunkee's Friday Follow. Happy Friday!
 
We posed a question to South African Book Bloggers occupying the blogosphere and not only are the guest posts AMAZING but we have met some pretty awesome local book bloggers, so with out further adeiu we present Lauren, from Violin in a Void; her bio reads:
If there’s something weird about it, I’ll probably want to read it. More so if there’s metafiction in the mix. And if there’s good reason to call it literary too, I’ll be ready and waiting with a pencil, my Moleskine and a glass of red wine.



I love Lauren's clean blog style and love of books! Her love for Sci-Fi, Steampunk and Magic realism makes me salivate with each review!
A blogger to follow and tweet!


Violin in a Void's Question was:
A  good book is...

A good book is so many different things to so many different people that it took me ages to write this post for Kelly  (who I can only hope will  forgive me for watching my deadline fly by and vanish into the distance). A variety of words come to mind when I try to describe a good book – exciting, inspiring, escapist, eye-opening, captivating, inventive... I could go on.

Thinking about good books also conjures up images of things and places often associated with reading – snuggling up under a thick blanket on a rainy day, enjoying a cup of coffee at a cafe, drinking a glass of good wine, lying on the grass in the sunshine, spending a hot day at the beach. Not only have these things become synonymous with the thought of enjoying a good read, it also matches the experience of reading a good book – it can be cosy, relaxing, intoxicating, peaceful, refreshing.

So how do I sum this all up for a short and practical answer to the question I was posed? My conclusion is that a good book is immersive. Wherever you are, whoever you’re with, a good book will plunge you into its own world and introduce you to new people, things and ideas. It doesn’t even have to be a world you actually want to go to. Within some of our most beloved books are monsters, dystopias, wars. The power of a good book is that no matter what it shows you, you want to see it.

I say “show” and “see” instead of ‘describe’ and ‘read’ because good books go so far beyond the words from which they are made and become experiences. You can ignore the fact that you’re actually just sitting on a couch and not, in fact, riding a destrier into battle. It can seem so odd that all these people you keep talking about are people you’ve never met or who don’t actually exist in real life because they seem so much more tangible than those Facebook friends who only exist for you in status updates. It’s because a good book gets you involved.

I’m not just talking about the dramas full of characters to love and hate, or genres like fantasy, sci fi and travel with fascinating new wordls to explore. Nor does a good book have to be fast-paced, easy to read, or a page-turner (although in many cases it certainly helps). I’ve read amazing books that needed effort, patience and often a good dictionary too. Sometimes I’ve had to read them twice before I thought they were good. While you obviously have to find something enjoyable or valuable about a book for it to be good, it isn’t necessarily entertaining. Some people love books that make them cry. Some like dense philosophical narratives that offer dark, difficult insights into what it is to be human. Others mostly read non-fiction, preferring reality to romance. 

My point is that whatever it is you want from books, the best ones are not just good reads but experiences. You inhabit another world, another life, another body. Sometimes, when you’re done, you see your own world differently. Even if the comparison makes life seem drab, at least it’s because you got to read something so amazing your mind was somewhere else for a little while. Good books have new and interesting perspectives for you to see and think with. They give you a chance to understand things you never knew of, or things you knew about but could never put into words. And in the simplest ways of being good, they’re pure pleasure, they’re memorable, and whether fiction or fact they feel real.

Check out Lauren's Book Ferret posts


*** 

7 comments:

violininavoid said...

Thank you so much for having me Kelly!

bookdout said...

Hi
Just hopping by and following through!

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

View my post

Shelagh said...

An eloquent and well presented post from Lauren! I'm loving these SA Book Blogger features :)

Shelagh
The Word Fiend

Tia said...

Great post! New follower!

My Follow Friday!

Howard Sherman said...

Please don’t be shocked but this week I’ve got a straightforward, cut and dried answer to this week’s question... for a change!

Root for villains? No way, no how. Why am I being so narrow minded? Follow me back to my blog and find out why – http://www.howardsherman.net

Thank God it’s Follow Friday!

Howard A. Sherman, Implementor
Get Inside a Story
http://www.inthestory.com

Emma Michaels said...

I am a follower!
I hope you will stop by The Writers Voice! It is my new group author blog and posts start tomorrow!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://OurBooksOurVoice.Blogspot.com

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I would not ever stop reading. Never. No way.

Here's my post:I've Never Met a Genre I Didn't Like. I'd also invite you to sign up for the contest to win a $25 Amazon giftcard this month at my blog.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly