Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book Blogger Appreciation Week 2011




During this week the book blogging world acknowledges the wonderful community we have online. We do this by handing out awards , and by following daily blogging prompts. While overseas blogs take part in discussions, I wanted to showcase the Top 5 books of LOCAL (Yes, you read correctly, Local!) South African book bloggers!

S.A Partridge lives in Cape Town, South Africa and is the author of the award-winning book, The Goblet Club – a novel about a young man’s frightening experience in the world’s worst boarding school...
  
You can follow her here on twitter or visit her blog here
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 
by JK Rowling


I love the entire Harry Potter series, and I could give you a million different reasons why each one should be my favourite, but there’s something about this one that just makes it stick out above the rest. I think it’s that moment when Dumbledore pulls Harry’s name out of the Goblet of Fire. I’ve re-read this book about ten times and that scene never fails to give me goosebumps, every time.

Salem’s Lot by Stephen King


Stephen King is the original YA author. He gets kids. Period. I mean, look at The Body, Carrie, It, Apt Pupil, to name a few. When I first read Salem’s Lot back in high school (and re-read it about a hundreds times after) I was so struck by the journey of Mark Petrie that it could have been me fighting vampires in those dog-eared pages. It swallowed me up and ruined me for grown-up books forever.

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma


Forbidden is one the most intense YAs I’ve come across in a while. The story follows the tragic love story of siblings Lochan and Maya, who discover their true feelings for each other after years of hard living and relying on each other for support, while their disillusioned mother slowly but surely disappears from their lives. There are plenty of Gah! Moments in this one, which has that delicious us-against-the-world feel that only a YA can deliver. I love it, love it, love it, a million times over and I can’t wait to read it a second time to experience that wonderful electric breathlessness all over again.  The ending left me reeling.


Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel 
by Susanna Clarke


At the dawn of the nineteenth century, two very different magicians emerge to change England's history. The magic aside (which is awesome), the descriptions of the secret fairy kingdom transported me right back into endless childhood hours spent looking under bushes for the little folk.  The plot is brilliant, the writing is incredibly delicate and beautiful, and the storyline will wrap itself around your brain and leave you stricken for days after. Enough said.
 

Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko


Translated from the Russian, Night Watch weaves the lush mysticism of Russian folklore into modern day Moskow. Living among the citizens are the "Others," an ancient race of humans with supernatural powers who swear allegiance to either the Dark or the Light. I’ll pick this book up to cheer myself up after a particularly grim day, or just for a burst of inspiration. It’s just truly lovely.  

***

So tweet me (or SA Partridge) you top 5 books - don't forget the hash-tag #BBAW2011

1 comments:

Shelagh said...

Another great post from an wonderfully talented SA author!

I've always wanted to read Salem's Lot - I never seem to be able to find a copy of it. Either the library copy is out or both of my local bookshops are only stocking his newer titles. But I am glad to see that I have something to look forward to when I finally get my hands on it!

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell was an amazing book to be swept away in. I was immersed in the history and magic. Having said that, I'm not sure I would re-read it.

I love the Watch books! Original Urban Fantasy by a talented author.

Thanks for the great post Kelly and Sally! :)

Shelagh
The Word Fiend

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly