Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book Blogger Appreciation Week 2011



During this week the book blogging world acknowledges the wonderful community we have online. We do this by handing out awards , and by following daily blogging prompts. While overseas blogs take part in discussions, I wanted to showcase the Top 5 books of LOCAL (Yes, you read correctly, Local!) South African book bloggers!

First up is KJ Mulder, a sci-fi buff, book addict and twitter chatterbox.
  
You can follow him here on twitter or visit his blog here

I don’t really like doing a list of top 5 books ever read. How do you choose? What criteria do you use? So I’m going to settle for my most memorable reads - the books which have played a huge role in my life and which immediately jump to mind. They might not be the best ever written or have the same meaning to someone else, but they’ll keep being special to me. So here they are in no particular order of preference.



The Belgariad by David Eddings
I know, I know. This is a series not one book, but I'm hoping I can sneak it in. This was the Harry Potter of my generation. Many a school break was spent discussing the books and it got to a stage where there were heated battles over who got to take out which book from the library. Interestingly enough the exact same copies I read are still at my local library.
  
Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan
I've always been interested in space and this was one of the few astronomy books the library had when I went looking into the subject. This was the first book that really brought the point home about how tiny and insignificant we really are living on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. After all these years I still remember that “Pale Blue Dot” passage.

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
I think this was one of the first science fiction novels I read and loved. I just immediately identified with Ender and what he was going through. I guess this came at just the exact time that I needed it in my life and showed me that it was fine to believe in yourself no matter what. From Ender’s Game my fanatical love of all things sci-fi sprouted.

Contact by Carl Sagan
Another Carl Sagan book I have many fond memories of. I read this shortly after Pale Blue Dot and was amazed that science fiction could be scientifically sound. At the time I had no idea that ‘hard science’ fiction existed. Contact is still viewed as one of the most accurate sci-fi novels and is way better than the movie (especially since Jodie Foster made a major mess of the Drake equation). I chalk my love for hard sci-fi to reading this as a teen.

Robopocalypse by Daniel H.Wilson
Now for something NOT written in the 80s! Robopocalypse is one of the most entertaining novels I’ve read in a long while. I love technology and all its trappings, but after reading this I was thinking twice about getting into elevators or getting close to anything with microchips in them. Those self-driving cars Google are developing no longer seem like such a good idea. I’m still not sure if I’ll be able to regain my trust in technology ever again.

1 comments:

Shelagh said...

Awesome BBAW guest post from KJ!

The Belgariad started my love affair with fantasy and will always have a special place on my bookshelf. I re-read it for fun every couple of years. :)

Ender's Game has been recommended to me before and I'm glad to hear it's worth a read (tags it onto my wishlist).

I'm not a huge fan of the more serious sci-fi, so I'm not sure I would read any Carl Sagan at the moment. But one day I may be brave enough. :)

And after reading KJ's review of Robopocalypse I know I want to read that.

Great post!

Shelagh
The Word Fiend

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly