Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (18) Next to Love

 
"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This weeks "waiting at bookshop, faces pressed against windows" selection is:

Next to Love by Ellen Feldman

Published by Pan Macmillan UK
Cover concepts
Which cover is your favourite?

About the Book

From the Orange Prize Shortlisted author of Scottsboro comes a heartbreaking saga of love and loss in the aftermath of war 
 
Babe, Grace and Millie have been best friends since their first day at their small town’s only kindergarten. Despite their differences, they’ve played together, grown up together, shared each other’s secrets. And when World War Two becomes a reality for America too, the girls begin a new phase of their lives together – each quickly marries her first true love. With the men away, life is difficult for these newly married women, but when no fewer than sixteen telegrams arrive on a single morning in 1944, bearing news of the worst kind from the War Department, the girls know that nothing will ever be the same again...

As each woman struggles to rebuild a life, they face not only the challenges closest to home – the brutal effects of war, the question of remarriage, of how to tell a child about their absent father – but also the wider issues of a country in flux – sexism, racism, anti-Semitism. Tinged with tragedy, yet filled with hope, Next to Love is the story of three women at the heart of the century – a celebration of their friendship across decades of the most unthinkable adversity. It is a remarkable novel you are unlikely to forget. 



About the Author


 
Ellen Feldman, a 2009 Guggenheim Fellow in fiction, is the author of The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank, also published by Picador. She lives in New York City with her husband.

See Ellen's Website here



So, *pours followers coffee*, what books are you waiting for?

14 comments:

June G said...

This is certainly different. I like the first cover with the woman on it. Love that vintage style. A fresh choice this week. Thanks!

Andie Z said...

This sounds really interesting! I love historical novels, although I definitely don't read them enough. Thanks for featuring this one!

New follower :)
Andie
My Wow

Sash and Em said...

I really like the one on the far right! It seems more modern.

Check out Em's WoW!

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

This sounds like one emotional read! I would go for the cover in the middle :)

I love the clean layout on your blog by the way.

I’m waiting for a YA novel called Crave by Melissa Darnell.

Sharon said...

I would chose the cover on the far right.

Mine is here :) http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Kyanara_night said...

great pick sounds like a great book

Have a great day!
Kyanara from laced little muffins reading corner

Sarah said...

new follower :)

Wow this seems like a great book! I will have to check it out!

check out my waiting on Wednesday!
http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

I just got this one...great pick!

ComaCalm said...

I think I like the middle one the best! =^.^=

ComaCalm's Corner

LC said...

that looks really interesting. I tend to shy away from books that seem sad but I like the first cover. I would stop and pick it up at the book store to read the back.
Here's my WoW Cold Moon Violet Books

Greta is Erikasbuddy said...

How interesting!! That sounds like a great story!!

Paranormal Wastelands' WoW:
http://paranormalwastelands.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday_10.html

Kristin said...

I like the middle cover the best. I like the added bonus of the photos in the background.
Book Sniffers Anonymous

Tribute Books Mama said...

Sounds really good to me, great pick.

Grace Fonseca said...

Interesting picks. I see that we have very different tastes in books. That's okay. I like to see some diversity. New follower.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly