Thursday, August 11, 2011

Guest Post: Worlds in Ink

We posed a question to South African Book Bloggers occupying the blogosphere and not only are the guest posts AMAZING but we have met some pretty awesome local book bloggers, so with out further adieu we present KJ Mulder, from Worlds in Ink; his bio reads:


I'm a South African based blogger and self-confessed book addict. My main passion is science fiction, but I also enjoy reading fantasy, horror and thrillers.

We love his blog, Worlds in Ink, go check it out!

When I see a pile of books...

Now that’s a question in serious need of context. I need more information. Where is this hypothetical pile of books located? Guess I’ll have to make up some context of my own!

… at a secondhand bookshop…
I rescue them. I can’t stand the thought of books being abandoned by their owners and left to fend for themselves in the cold, dirty, sticky-fingered world. They deserve a good home and as long as I have a cubic centimeter of space available I’m going to provide them with that home! (Being a book rescuer provides a great rationalization for buying more books).

… at a sale…
I can’t resist the temptation to rummage through them looking for bargains. It doesn’t matter that the likelihood of me actually reading the book within the next two years is slim. If the price is right I’ll take them ALL home (provided they are in genres I like of course). Books are an investment in the future. If I buy them now while I can afford it, I can read them when I’m penniless and retired.

… in someone else’s home…
Some serious snooping will ensue. You can tell a lot about a person by looking at what they read. Someone who doesn’t enjoy reading is immediately suspect in my books. No time for reading? Bleh, then you don’t have time for breathing either!  

… at home…
I chortle with glee like a dragon over its hoard of gold. My books are my treasures. I love acquiring them, admiring them and reading them. Since I live 200km from the nearest bookstore I buy most of my books online… and I buy in bulk. Nothing beats that feeling of getting a new book through the post, but the amount of parcels I get have resulted in some strange looks from the post office workers. Now they are so used to it that they get my parcels ready as soon as they spot me walking in.

I’m completely addicted to books in every shape and form. My TBR pile is well over 250 books and growing - and that’s only counting the books I already own. I tried banning myself from buying more books and managed to last for twenty-six days before breaking down. I’ve now given up on fighting my addiction. Except for the miniscule chance of a bookshelf falling on me, it seems to be a healthy enough addiction.

If you guys spot any disadvantaged science fiction or fantasy books in dire need of a good home you know where to send them…

2 comments:

Shelagh said...

Awesome guest post from KJ! I do love his blog as well. And I thought my TBR pile was bad! *whew what a relief*

Ladies, I've given you a blog award: details here

Shelagh

Rachel Brooks said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who snoops at what other people have on their shelves! Books tell so much about a person. Plus it's fun to spy!

Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly