Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness


Blurb
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do. But it isn’t the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming... The monster in his back garden, though, this monster is something different. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor. It wants the truth.

Costa Award winner Patrick Ness spins a tale from the final idea of much-loved Carnegie Medal winner Siobhan Dowd, whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself. Darkly mischievous and painfully funny, A Monster Calls is an extraordinarily moving novel of coming to terms with loss from two of our finest writers for young adults.

Review

Dear Reader,
I can think of a dozen situations that brought this book to you, but it won’t matter because what really does matter is where the story took you.
My story is rather boring; the book landed on my desk with a thump that caused me to swivel in my chair, intrigued by the cover alone.  A Monster Calls resound like whisper; as books do with their readers.
I picked it up ready for whatever lay between the pages, what I found were Illustrations, too dark for a sane person to imagine, and a story that really leaves, you, the reader heartbroken.  A Monster Calls personifies the monster we all hold in our nightmares, the one that hangs in the shadows of your thoughts and the on precipice of your dreams.  Conor has been visited by that exact monster, but this monster isn’t the one he is expecting.  As his mother wilts away from Cancer, Conor waits for the terrifying monster from his nightmare, the one where there is screaming, darkness and a truth that Conor isn’t ready to face.  The Monster in Conor’s backyard comes every night to tell him a story with the deal that Conor must tell him his story, the only problem is Conor doesn’t know how his story ends...
So as I hand this over to you, dear Reader, I can only hope you are moved by this book as much as I was.  I urge you to take this journey with young Conor, his monster and his truth; you are bound to find something that scares you to the point of nightmares...
Regards,
Kelly Ansara
About Patrick Ness


Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and SUNDAY TELEGRAPH and is a literary critic for THE GUARDIAN. He has written five books (Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, and Topics About Which I Know Nothing). Born in Virginia, he currently lives in London.

2 comments:

thebookfairyhaven said...

An absolutely fabulous review from an even more fabulous blogger :). I've heard some incredible things about this - and some of my friends in the UK certainly can't seem to stop talking about the marvel that is Patrick Ness and his writing too. I've really got to get around to reading this and The Chaos trilogy (which is currently in my TBR pile at the moment). We'll have to feature this one on women24 at some point.

Saiful Islam said...

Deepwater Horizon Movie Official Movie Site

Deepwater Horizon Movie Movie Review

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly