Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (2)


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating...

Tarryn’s Pick

Birth by Peter Harris
ISBN: 9781415201022
Publisher: Random House (Pty) Ltd South Africa
Publication Date: 1 November 2010

I have just finished The Fear by Peter Godwin and I suddenly cannot get enough of political biographies to do with the African continent. On another note, I have met Peter Harris-been fortunate to be deserted by a shuttle with him-and I have heard him in discussion with other supporting justice-seekers and he is a very fair, honest and intelligent man that does not take himself too seriously.

In the early 1990s South Africa was repetitively rocked by violent incidents that often threatened to derail the delicate peace process and negotiations for a new state. Among these was a right-wing conspiracy to ruin the 1994 election by staging a coup d'etat from the northwest of the country, aided by mutinous elements in the SA Defence Force. Harris relates grippingly how some of the biggest bombs in the country's history were exploded in the then Transvaal, and, with moving sympathy, the desperate plight of the right-wingers in their pitiful invasion of the then homeland of Bobhuthatswana.

But the biggest drama was perhaps the attempt to break into the electronic counting system of the election, for whose supervision Harris was responsible. Harris has one at the edge of one's seat as he tells of the drama behind the scenes, eleventh-hour meetings with Mandela and de Klerk, the plans to make the results flow again, and of how closely the country steered away from disaster and ended giving itself a miracle result.

Kelly’s Pick


Cooked Out of the Frying Pan by Justin Bonello
ISBN: 9780143026372
Publisher: Penguin Books (SA) (Pty) Ltd
Publication Date: 1 November 2010

I have to be the BIGGEST Justin Bonello fan (Ok so are 5000 other people) but after meeting him in the flesh I could just pack him up in my bag and carry him around with me – what a great person to sit down and chat to (Well in his case humble and shy and me mumbling like a 14 year-old intimidated teen meeting Edward Cullen). After religiously watching his TV program (Cooked in Africa) I am dying to see what he comes up with in this new cookbook...

Justin visits 13 professional kitchens - all beacons on the South African culinary landscape - and gets to cook with some of the most celebrated chefs in the country. In spite of a baptism of flour, after three seasons of Cooked in Africa he's up for the challenge and finds these culinarians warm and willing to share their secrets. Along the way he manages to lift the lid on a smorgasbord of tips and take aways that surround fine dining. Follow the adventures of this self-confessed bush cook as he makes this giant leap and smarts up to the value of salsa verde and a good mirepoix. He'll guide you through the intricacies of deboning a pig and quartering a rabbit and let you in on how the experts prepare dishes like potato gnocchi and dim sum dumplings.

All information from Exclusive Books’ Website (http://www.exclus1ves.co.za/)


10 comments:

Miss Page-Turner said...

Oh wow two VERY different picks! I love cooking! And the first book sounds very important.In general I'm not that interested in politics, but this one doesn't sound too unintersting to me:)

TheBookGirl said...

Just found your blog, and think it's great!
I love the sound of Birth, definitely something I would read, so glad you highlighted it :)

I don't cook much these days, but the second pick does sound fun!

Christie (The Fiction Enthusiast) said...

Cool picks! The cover for Birth is awesome!

April said...

cool picks!
thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my WOW!

Straylights said...

Ew, deboning a pig sounds like the worst thing ever! lol! Birth sounds really interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out for it. Great picks!

Alison said...

Birth has an incredible cover. I haven't heard of Justin Bonnello. I guess he hasn't gotten American coverage, or I just don't watch enough TV.

Lizzy said...

Birth sounds really intriguing. I don't know much about the 94 election except that Nelson Mandela was elected. I'm definitely interested in learning more.

Lu said...

Great pick! It looks great :)

Vee said...

A South African book blog! So glad I found you guys -- I haven't seen one before, and it's nice to see what kind of books are coming out back over there (I grew up in SA :)).

I like both of these picks.

Mad Scientist said...

Following the mechanical bunny around...

Sorry no post for hopping tonight but I have a new book review up.

Mad Scientist
http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly